Sunday, June 6, 2021

Reluctant Boys Reading Suggestions

 

I have worked as a third grade teacher, literacy coach, and intervention teacher and getting boys to actually read has been one of my biggest challenges. I have found some sure-fire winners that could get the most reluctant boy to read and I wanted to share them with you.


Stink is the first book I give to a third grade boy who is ready for a chapter book but can’t find anything to stick with. Stink is funny and silly and acts like a typical boy. Stink is a fun series and not too serious. My son was reading some books off a book list one year and did not like how depressing the books were. One book had a kid whose parents divorced and another had a kid whose parent had died. I told him to try one more and the dog ended up dying and he threw the book at me and said, “that’s it! No more!” So I really think about the seriousness when recommending books for kids. Some kids like serious books but some kids just want something fun and entertaining. So if you have a kid who wants their books light-hearted, Stink is for you. This book’s reading level is around the end of second grade or beginning of third grade so it is perfect for a kid who has been reading say magic treehouse and is ready for something else. Stink is a series book so if your kid likes it, you can just keep feeding them to him. Also, his bossy older sister Judy Moody has HER own series of books that are slightly higher in level so you can keep your kid reading for a long time!

Say you have an older reader who has stalled out on books? I would try the Percy Jackson series. My son liked Harry Potter but when we watched the movies they were too scary so I was so happy when he found this series. It has a lot of action and adventure, but there is a lot of humor woven in and it is not quite as scary. All of the mythological references are cool and get kids interested in learning more. Percy Jackson is great for an older reader, like grade 4 or 5. I like that there is a movie, too. Movies that are made from books are great bait for reluctant readers. 




Roald Dahl is a great author for reluctant readers. His books are hysterical and fast-moving, first off. But the kids in his books have to deal with horrible adults and really dive into the feelings kids have about being small and powerless. The kids often discover they have power themselves and I think it is a great lesson for kids to encourage them to be self-reliant and independent. I also like that there are books that are short and fast for younger readers and then more meatier for older ones. If a kid gets hooked on Roald Dahl, there are lots of titles to choose from and many have been made into movies!


Boys like adventure and the “I Survived” series bring it. These popular books are each set in a disaster, which is told through a kid’s perspective. So the reader really experiences the historical event through the kid’s eyes.

There are a lot of titles in this series and some are at higher levels than others, so I wouldn’t stress out about that. Because these are real events, it might spur an interest in history.


Another popular series is 39 clues, written by Percy Jackson author Rick Riordan, which is a series about two kids who travel around the world trying to solve a family mystery. This is a great series to get kids hooked on because it combines mystery, adventure, history, and geography. It also has trading cards and there is talk of a movie as well. It is great for readers who have moved on from Magic Treehouse books, but like the format. 

The next book on my list is the cutest for real. It is a series book about a class pet hamster who has a faulty lock on his cage. Mayhem and adventures ensue, of course. Kids love this adorable hamster and love that the story is told from his perspective. This is a great book for reluctant readers because it is super cute and fun. It is written at a third grade level so it is perfect for those boys who can’t seem to get out of Dogman or Captain Underpants.

My last book combines two things boys really like: sports and mysteries. The Ballpark Mysteries are similar to A to Z Mysteries but the setting is at a baseball park. Each mystery is at a different ballpark so that is interesting, too. 

Like A to Z Mysteries, these are written for grades 2-3 readers and are fast with not much character development. But there are a lot of titles and they are a good fit for a kid ready for chapter books but can’t find anything. Mysteries are addictive and if they are a baseball fan, this series will be a winner.


What do you think? Did I leave a great book out? Please tell me in the comments below if you have a book that should be on this list. 


I wanted to give some tips about recommending books to reluctant readers, boys or girls. You can’t just throw a book at a kid and say “I heard this was good.” Kids like to feel involved in the selection process, but too many choices can be overwhelming. I like to give them 3-5 choices max and let them decide which one from there. And don’t get freaked out about what level or lexile they are. If they can read it and understand the story that is more important than they stay boxed into a certain level. I remember reading Animal Farm when I was in elementary school. I enjoyed the story, even though I didn’t “get” it until I reread it in high school. The most important thing is they are reading. They can always reread it later to get what they missed the first time. You also might need to sell the book a little. It sounds corny, but if you approach them with excitement they will be more likely to try it. I like saying, “I just read this book and thought it would be perfect for you!” Also, studies show that when you make reading a social thing, kids will more likely be engaged and stick with it. When my kids were little, I would read a page and then they would read one. Even to this day, my son will tell me to read or watch something and then he’ll want to talk about it with me. Talking about what they are reading is a great way to stay connected, especially as kids get older and they don’t need you as much. My last tip is not to freak out if he wants to abandon the book. We have all had a book that didn’t fit: whether it was too hard, too easy, or just boring. I usually ask them to finish the first chapter before deciding, which is what I would do if I encountered a book that wasn’t for me.


Thanks for reading and happy reading!

5 comments:

  1. These are great suggestions! I also have a reluctant reader son, and have been challenged with finding something to keep him engaged. He enjoyed the Diary of a Wimpy kid books as well as The Magic Treehouse series. He eventually stumbled upon the Speed Racer series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great that you found something for your reluctant reader! I thought Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Magic Treehouse were so well-known I was trying to think of other titles to branch boys out to. I haven't read the Speed Racer series but it sounds super engaging and we might need to add it to our list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I was happy to see your list of books because they are definitely less well-known! Thank you for these!

      Delete
  3. These are great suggestions for reluctant readers! I read “the Lightning Thief” as a read aloud this year and many students became hooked reading “the Sea of Monsters” and started summer with a goal of reading the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love series book exactly for that reason. Once you get them hooked on one, it is so easy to direct them to the next one. I think kids are naturally collectors so this is a great way to steer that drive to collect in an educational way!

      Delete

How to be More Culturally Responsive

Being "culturally responsive" is a big buzz word in teaching, but what is it exactly? To me, it means that I am respectful of othe...