Sunday, June 6, 2021

ELLs in Upper Elementary

 

I have had many teachers come to me panicked about a new student who doesn't speak any English. I have found these tips are helpful:



  • Pair with a buddy. This requires some thought and you want to consider personalities when pairing students. You want a helpful and patient student, but not one who will do everything for your new student. I have seen students "mother" a new ELL student and take over all tasks for them. 
  • Do not be discouraged if your students doesn't speak. Students understand more than they are able to talk at first so be patient if a student is quiet or only talks to friends at recess. 
  • Model what is expected. The more they can see and hear what is expected, the more they will know. Use nonverbal cues, like pointing when you are modeling what to do.
  • Involve your ELL students, even if they are nonverbal. Have them sit and listen even if it appears they don't understand. Encourage participation when they are able.
  • Allow for wait time. ELL students need processing time, so don't jump in. Allow them the time to think.
  • Try Visualizing and Verbalizing. This is a program I used with all of my third graders, and I could see it pay off for my ELL and ESE students. We sat in a circle at the beginning of the day and I read through some prompts and they imagined what I was saying. Then we shared what we imagined if we were comfortable. At first, only a few students shared, and then I saw my students get more comfortable and feel safe. They all were able to try to visualize and talk about what they imagined. 

  • Look at the WIDA Can-Do Descriptors, which outlines what students can do at their level of language development. These can help guide you in what is appropriate to ask your student to do and what is out of reach for them at their level of development. 



What do you think? What are your favorite strategies when working with English Language Learners? I would love to hear your ideas!





2 comments:

  1. Visualizing and Verbalizing is a great book! I have seen this in action during my Student Teaching and it was fun to see the kids engaged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think visualizing is an under-taught skill that is critical for reading comprehension. If kids can't see the story in their heads, how can they truly understand it. And it just doesn't come naturally to some students. And you are right: the kids are engaged!

      Delete

How to be More Culturally Responsive

Being "culturally responsive" is a big buzz word in teaching, but what is it exactly? To me, it means that I am respectful of othe...