Sunday, June 6, 2021

Interventions for Upper Elementary Students

 

I love working with students in small groups. I can really build relationships by connecting with students in a small group each day, and I can hold them accountable in ways that their classroom teacher may not have time to. Also, I can really focus in on what that student needs to succeed and work on specific skills. These are a few of my favorite intervention programs to use with upper elementary students:


Fountas and Pinnell's Leveled Literacy Intervention is my go-to intervention because it offers so much. It has highly engaging texts, alternating between an instructional level text and an independent level so students feel successful when reading independently. They also offer lessons related to the text in word study, fluency, vocabulary, comprehension and writing about reading. It has exactly what your student needs and you skip the rest. The best part is students really like the fiction and nonfiction texts so they don't mind reading!


Guided reading is small group instruction where like LLI, each student reads the same text. The teacher introduces the text, calling attention to meaning and language, and then each student reads silently, with the teacher listening in to individual students and prompting when necessary. After reading, the students discuss the text and the teacher gives a teaching point. Finding good texts is important to a guided reading program. Texts should be at a student's instructional level so the student can practice using reading strategies under the direction of the teacher. Scholastic has a great article about Guided Reading HERE


Words Their Way is a good intervention for upper elementary students who need phonics work. The concept is that students are given a list of words that they cut out and manipulate. The teacher teaches the patterns in their words and students sort them accordingly. The main negative I have heard about Words Their Way is that there is no transfer from sorting the words into reading the words in texts, so I make sure that I include texts every day that support the patterns students are learning. You also need to vary the activities so that they are engaging and not repetitive. I used this program with 4th and 5th grade ELL students and I saw a lot of success. 

What is your favorite go-to intervention for your upper elementary students? I would love to hear about your ideas for helping your struggling students!



7 comments:

  1. I also love using the LLI kits. I enjoy how easy the lessons are and that there is little planning involved. It is also very easy to use as a reading/writing intervention because I keep notebooks for each student where we work on writing responses to the questions in the books they read. We practice word work, write sentences, and practice proper open response question answers during this time. This kit is amazing and also allowed me to keep dated progress on each student by keeping these notebooks.

    I also like using Words Their Way. I sort students after they complete the initial assessment and then have them rotate through different stations each week. This allows them to work with the words every day. There are 4 days of word work and then 1 day of spelling on Spelling City. The only drawback I see is the number of photocopies needed for the program. Other than that, it is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like LLI as much as I do! I should have emphasized the writing that is involved, it is so helpful. And the built-in assessments are really great, too.
      I think because of the copy situation, I like WTW for smaller groups better than whole group. I also like how I can keep a closer eye on the work being done in a smaller group. =)

      Delete
    2. Great idea for the WTW. I think it will be much easier to manage in smaller groups.

      Delete
  2. I used LLI for the first time this year. I like the combination of word study, fluency, and comprehension. I can't say enough about the engaging texts though. My students always looked forward to reading the stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the big draw to me for LLI. I have never had students shy away from the texts especially after the book introduction! Also, the fact that LLI is research-based gives me confidence for using it to target phonics (through word study), fluency, and comprehension.

      Delete
  3. I love using LLI too for guided reading! The students love reading the stories, are eager to participate and really engaged. I love the gradual release and easy planning too. I also keep notebooks of word work and responses. It is amazing to look back and see all the growth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like the gradual release that LLI allows and anything that requires minimal planning is a plus in my book! I almost want to keep their notebooks at the end of the year because I am amazed at how much they grow and how sophisticated their writing becomes!

      Delete

How to be More Culturally Responsive

Being "culturally responsive" is a big buzz word in teaching, but what is it exactly? To me, it means that I am respectful of othe...